"There’s nothing in the middle of
the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos."
Jim Hightower

Friday 6 February 2009

BMW Customer Service

An update to yesterday's post.

Earlier today, I sent the following e-mail to Klaus Kibsgaard (MD, BMW UK), Chris Willows (Director of Corporate Communications, BMW UK) and Uwe Ellinghaus (Marketing Director, BMW UK)

Dear Mr Kibsgaard,

I am writing to highlight the completely unsatisfactory experience I’ve had with BMW ownership over the past 2 years.

I have suffered from very poor customer experience and excessive levels of unexpected maintenance.

Owning a BMW has wasted many days of my time, the financial costs have been significant and the disruption to my personal and business life has been extraordinary.

Your customer service team have been uncompromising, even though the car falls well within your goodwill guidelines.

I have tried to be reasonable, that hasn’t worked, so I’ll be making my experiences more widely known.

The detail are in the attached document, with a summary blog posting here and forum posting here. I will be posting more widely later today.

--

Best Regards

etc...

Although I am still waiting for a response to the email, I have (just) received a call from Jonny Combe - Customer Service Manager BMW UK. They have offered to contribute 50% towards the cost of the replacement gearbox. I am now waiting for the full details from Sytner.

As an aside, it seems to me that Sytner have missed an opportunity here to (a) generate a sale and (b) create a product champion. 

I would have responded very positively to a call from a (smart) BMW salesman who offered a suitable replacement vehicle with a good trade in value (typical AutoTrader private sale) against mine.

My logic is that the internal parts and labour costs are lower than a customer pays and there is no VAT. The 330D could be repaired and then sold on to the trade. The cost of the repair would be factored in to the discount on the replacement car... especially as I've seen prices drop by more than £3,000 on a £22,000 used BMW in a few weeks.

Sytner would have achieved a financing deal; sold some stock and had a succes story to talk about.

Perhaps there aren't any smart salesmen at Sytner?

A postscript and final costs here.

No comments:

Post a Comment